Eleven members of a Manchester gang who hunted down and viciously killed a member of a rival gang because he strayed into their “territory” have been jailed for a total of 168 years.
Defendants aged between 15 and 21 chased Abdul Wahab Hafidah for more than five miles along busy roads in the evening rush hour on 12 May last year.
The court had heard the victim, 18-year-old Abdul Hafidah, had walked into ‘enemy territory’ on Westwood Street in Moss Side and was spotted by members of the AO gang, who chased him before he was knocked down by a Vauxhall Corsa on Moss Lane East then ‘cornered’.
The teenager was then punched, kicked, stamped on and stabbed in the neck before being left for dead.
The 18-year-old told a passer-by “help me, they’re going to kill me” moments before he was cornered, Manchester Crown Court heard.
He died on May 14, two days after the attack, which took place during the evening rush hour as onlookers watched in horror.
The court heard the AO gang suspected Abdul of being involved in an earlier bat attack on a member of the rival gang and of threatening another just days before his death.
A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police said: “After a considerable chase where Abdul was clearly exhausted, he was finally incapacitated after [Nathanial Jermaine] Williams drove his Vauxhall Corsa at him, knocking him to the ground”.
“Once on the floor, Abdul was viciously attacked by the group with punches, kicks and stamps.
“The group then ran away in the direction of Quinney Crescent where the Corsa was waiting.”
Devonte Cantrill, 20, of no fixed address, plunged a knife into his neck in a ‘final act’ as he lay on the ground.
Cantrill, who the court heard regarded the Moss Side gang as his ‘family’, was detained for life with a minimum period of 23 years.
Nathaniel Williams, 19, of Hebburn Walk, Rusholme, was 17 at the time and driving the car that ran down and hit Abdul. He was detained for life with a minimum period of 19 years.
Both were convicted of murder.
Delroy Wright, 18, of no fixed address; Durrell Ford, 20, of Darncombe Close, Moss Side; Trey Wilson, 19, of Oakfield Avenue, Whalley Range; Durrell Goodall, 20, of Kings Road, Ashton-under-Lyne, Tameside; and Reanu Walters, who was 18 at the time and is now 19, were all also convicted of murder after separate trials.
Wright was detained for life with a minimum period of 19 years.
Ford was detained for life with minimum period of 20 years.
Wilson was detained for life with a minimum period of 18 years.
Goodall was detained for life with a minimum sentence of 16 years and Walters was detained for life with a minimum period of 20 years.
Judge Mr Justice Peter Openshaw said they would serve the full terms and only be released subject to Parole Board approval.
William George, 21, of Cowesby Street, Moss Side; Devonte Neish, 18, of Nell Lane, Chorlton; and a 15-year-old – who cannot be named for legal reasons – were convicted of manslaughter.
Remekell Samuels, 19, of Caythorpe Street, Moss Side, pleaded guilty to manslaughter – the only defendant to admit his guilt in court.
George was jailed for 12 years, Neish and Samuels detained for eight years and the teenage boy – who the court heard was an ‘enthusiastic gang younger’ – was detained for five years.
He was told by Cantrill to get the knife used to kill Abdul, who the court heard tried to hide in the garden of a derelict house and behind a large advertising hoarding before running across commuter traffic and begging passing cars to stop before he was killed.
In a statement, Abdul’s family said: “Abdulwahab was a loving son, brother and uncle.
“He was selfless, putting everyone before himself. He cherished the good times he spent with his family and friends and was always smiling and laughing.
“Abdulwahab started each day by greeting his mother and father with a kiss on their foreheads.
“On the morning of May 12, 2016, Abdulwahab’s parents were away on holiday when they received their last message from him which read ‘mum and dad I love you’.
“He sent this without knowledge it would be for the last time.
“Abdulwahab did not die as a result of accident or ill health – he was hunted down, attacked and ripped away from our lives forever in a senseless act of brutality and we as a family are totally devastated by his loss.
“We are consumed by the sadness and emptiness we feel knowing we will never see him again, but we will never forget him. His passing has left a void in our family that can never be replaced.
“After a long investigation and trial of those involved we are relieved that justice has been done and those responsible have been made to account for their actions.
“We do not hate those involved, but we hate what they have done. They have not only taken Abdulwahab’s life at a time when he had so much to live for; they have ruined our lives as well as theirs and their families.
“We would like to thank the members of public who tried to help our son as he lay on the tarmac fighting for his life and the medical staff who tended to him in an attempt to bring him back to us.
“We would also like to extend out thanks to the Crown Prosecution Service, Investigation Team, Family Liaison Officers and Victim and Witness Support, who have helped us throughout this process.
“We as a family ask that our privacy be respected to allow us time to grieve. Thank you.”